So there is this burger place downtown where I live that has a quinoa burger that I am obsessed with andddddd….. I have no idea how they make it. Unfortunate, I know. However, it inspired me to try and make my own version at home.
Bad news: they tasted nothing like the restaurants.
Good news: they were unique and good in their own way
*note these do not have a similar texture to a real burger
- 1 “cook in bag” quinoa of your choice
- 1 small-sized sweet potato
- 1/4c. corn bread mix
- 1 tablespoon of each: red pepper flake, pink sea salt, pepper, minced dried onion, and garlic powder.
- 1/2 c. chopped cooked black beans
- 1 egg yolk
- Spray olive oil
- Bring to boil 4 quarts of water in a pan, and cook quinoa according to box.
- Bake/Microwave sweet potato until soft. Cut open and set aside to cool.
- When cooked, drain and press out with a spatula, all water from your quinoa.
- Scrape the meat out of the sweet potato’s skin and add to quinoa in a mixing bowl.
- Add all the spices, corn meal, beans, and egg yolk. Mix together until all blended.
- Place in freezer for 30 mins.
- Remove mix from freezer and form your patties. I suggest keeping a little oil on your hands, and on you prep surface so they do not stick.
- Place pan on stove, spray with olive oil, and heat at medium.
- Cook on each side about 3 mins.
My burger is “animal style” wrapped in a Romaine lettuce leaf, with veggie cheese, tomato and avocado, and served with sweet potato fries.