Italians know how to cook. How to cook healthy? Ehh, its up for debate. So for this weeks edition of “ways to make chicken suck less”, here is my healthy and extremely flavorful version of Chicken Parm. You will notice though there is in fact no parmesan, as mozzarella is both less in fat and sodium per serving and makes for a healthier substitute.
This recipe is only for the chicken. You can add pasta to make a more traditional dish, or spiraled Zucchini. I used a vegetable based spinach pasta here made by DeBoles (Publix).
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- Basil Pesto, with our without pine nuts
- Fresh block or shredded mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- 2 yellow tomato
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a oven safe dish, pour half jar of tomato sauce in the bottom. Set aside.
- Heat frying pan with olive oil over med-high heat on the stove.
- Coat chicken to preference with salt, pepper, and oregano. Place in pan.
- Sear chicken 3 minutes on each side, 5 for larger breasts.
- Meanwhile, slice mozzarella, the yellow tomatoes, and pick off some fresh basil leaves.
- Remove chicken from pan and place on top of already poured sauce.
- Smear 1 tablespoon of the pesto over each breast.
- Pile on the tomato, basil, and mozzarella on top to brown.
- Cook about 20 minutes or until cheese is brown and your sauce is bubbling at the edges.
- Add remaining tomato sauce and bake 3-5 more minutes (optional).
- Prepare with pasta/ vegtable of choice and enjoy!